There's just something about shopping at a farmers market that is so much nicer than a trip to your local grocery store. Maybe it's the smell: all those perfectly ripe vegetables sitting out in the air.
Locally grown produce is great for the environment and the local economy. It also provides shoppers with a direct connection to the farmers that grow our food.
Here's our guide to farmers markets in the western suburbs. If we missed one, comment below with the information.
Brookfield Farmers Market
- Runs 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday from June 1 to Oct. 26. Located in the Village Hall parking lot, 8820 Brookfield Ave. See more information in this PDF.
Burr Ridge Market on the Green
- Runs 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Thursday from June 13 to Sept. 26. Located at the Burr Ridge Village Center, 701 Village Center Dr. There is entertainment at noon every Thursday. Go here for more information.
Forest Park Farmers Market
- Runs 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. every Friday from June 21 through Oct. 4, excluding Sept. 13 because of Rib Fest. Located at the Grove, 7824 Madison St. Call 708-771-7737 for more information or to participate as a vendor.
Hinsdale Farmers Market
- Runs 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Monday from June 3 to Oct. 14. Located at Burlington Park, 30 E. Chicago Ave. Get more information.
La Grange Farmers Market
- Runs 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Thursday from May 9 to Oct. 24. Located in the parking lot behind Village Hall, 53 S. La Grange Rd. Contact the West Suburban Chamber of Commerce for more information.
Maywood Produce Giveaway
- First Christian Church,1001 S. 8th Ave. in Maywood, is sponsoring a fruit and vegetable giveaway from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. the third Friday of every month.
Oak Park Farmers Market
- Runs 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday from May 18 to Oct. 26. Located at 460 Lake St. Pilgrim Church, right next door to where the market is held, offers fresh warm donuts, juice and coffee, with live bluegrass music nearby. Go to the village website for more information.
Riverside Farmers Market
- Runs 2:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. every Wednesday from June 5 to Oct. 2, except for July 3 because of the Fourth of July holiday. Located at Village Hall, 27 Riverside Rd. in downtown Riverside. Go here for more information.
Western Springs French Market
- Runs 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. every Thursday from May 2 to Oct. 31. Located at the water tower, 914 Hillgrove Ave., between Lawn and Grand avenues. Go here for more information.
Westmont Fresh Market
- Runs 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. every Thursday from June 6 through Aug. 29, except for July 4. Located at Burlington and Cass avenues in the BNSF Metra parking lot. Go here for more information.